Connect and Grow
Short-Term Groups provide people with an easy way to assimilate into a group for a shorter period of time (six to eight weeks) to explore a single relevant topic (spiritual growth, dating relationships, marriage, parenting, finances).
The goals of Short-Term Groups are to connect the disconnected, equip people around felt needs, and engage and leverage our pool of mature leaders.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Short-Term Group Leader description (volunteer)
- Groups Director job description (staff)
- Groups Coordinator job description (staff)
- Department Director job description (staff)
It’s important that Short-Term Group leaders are equipped to create an environment where people can learn content and experience community.
Groupleaders.org is designed to equip leaders with the tools to lead well and create meaningful experiences for their groups. The Leader Tools page on Groupleaders.org contains a variety of resources to make group leaders more effective. A few of these resources worth mentioning include:
- Short-Term Groups Leader Orientation Guide
- Community Group Data form
- Sample Ice Breaker Questions
Here are a few recommended resources for Short Term Groups:
- Creating Community (book) by Bill Willits and Andy Stanley offers a proven strategy for building a thriving small groups culture in your local church.
- Balanced is a DVD and study guide curriculum used by Access Groups exploring finances.
- Staying In Love is a DVD and study guide curriculum used by Access Groups exploring marriage.
- Groupleaders.org is designed to equip leaders with the tools to lead well and create meaningful experiences for everyone in their Community Groups.
- Our Community Groups section provides an inside look at our Groups strategy and approach to ministry.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are Short-Term Groups?
Short-Term Groups are small groups that meet together for a defined period of time to study and discuss a specific topic. They last 6 to 8 weeks. Topics include spiritual growth, marriage, dating relationships, and finances.
What is the purpose of Short-Term Groups?
Short-Term Groups create group experiences that equip and connect the disconnected. They were developed to provide an opportunity for a larger segment of our disconnected audience to find community. Short-Term Groups are also a great way for us to re-engage leaders who are disengaged or may be considering a break from Community Group leadership.
Where do Short-Term Groups meet?
Short-Term Groups meet in homes. Groups are organized around topic and geography.
How do people join Short-Term Groups?
People register for groups online based on topic and proximity to their homes.
How often do you offer Short-Term Groups?
Short-Term Groups are offered three times a year: March, June, and October.
Why do you offer both Community Groups and Short-Term Groups?
We recognize that the 18- to 24-month duration of Community Groups is a barrier for some people finding connection into community. Short-Term Groups provide an opportunity to connect and recognize the value of community.