Who does it take to produce the KidStuf experience?
A few years ago we changed our approach to KidStuf. You can learn more about that here. We are firm believers that you must have the right leaders in place before starting something new.
Mike is our Multi-Campus KidStuf Director. He leads a Production Director on each campus. This person is responsible for KidStuf Live on that specific campus.
Here are their Job Descriptions:
Multi-Campus KidStuf Director
Days:Sunday – Thursday and retreats
* Manage and lead the NPMI KidStuf Staff
* Cast vision for KidStuf volunteers and families
* Oversee the production of KidStuf Live
* Oversee the production of KidStuf Online
* Oversee the production of KidStuf Take-Out
* Finalize the KidStuf Live script
* Evaluate KidStuf Live, KidStuf Take-Out, and KidStuf Online for all three campuses
* Interface and communicate KidStuf-related information to each campus
* Interview, recruit, and train KidStuf NPMI Staff
* Develop KidStuf NPMI Staff through goal-setting, regular evaluation, consistent feedback, and PDP
* Lead KidStuf NPMI Staff meetings
* Manage the KidStuf NPMI budget forecast and expenses
* Plan for future needs concerning staff, programming, and budgeting
* Sunday responsibilities including hosting or acting in the KidStuf Live production
* Attend and help set direction for Big Picture content meetings with KidStuf and UpStreet.
* Ensure that KidStuf is participating in regular BeRich projects
* Participate and lead KidStuf creative meetings
* Participate in NPMI Family Ministry retreats and meetings
* Participate in a consistent NPMI meeting with the Children’s Director and other NPMI Directors.
Direct Reports: KS Creative Director, 3 Production Directors, 2 Technical Directors, KS Administrative Assistant
KidStuf Production Director
The KidStuf Production Director is directly responsible for the LIVE show on their campus. They also work with the rest of the team to create the KidStuf experience together.
Days:Sunday – Thursday and retreats
* Own the preparation, rehearsal, and KidStuf Live production on a specific campus
* Communicate with and schedule all actors
* Communicate with and schedule additional volunteers (such as backstage directors)
* Ensure that the stage on the campus is ready for the show
* Ensure that the campus has all props and costumes needed for the show
* Communicate dates of rehearsal and KS Live to the technical director and the director
* Ensure that all leaders involved understand the details of the entire production
* Block the actual script on the campus’ individual stage
* Participate in the creation and finalization of the script
* Ensure that all lighting cues are where they need to be when considering blocking
* Communicate with the Music Coordinator to confirm musicians on a campus
* Connect with and ensure that dancers are prepared for KidStuf Live on a campus
* Host or act as a part of KidStuf Live on a campus
Every Production Director will have a secondary responsibility. One or two of the following:
* Oversee, recruit, schedule, communicate, and rehearse with all hip-hop dancers for every campus
* Produce video projects needed for the web, promotional needs, and KidStuf Live
* Write: scripting for KidStuf Live, scripting for the web, scripting for video, and promotional content
* Buying all props that can be purchased at once and distributed to the campuses
I hope these job descriptions give you more of an idea of what it takes to create a KidStuf experience at your church. There are a few other players on the team and we’ll post those job descriptions in the future.